For many women, the joy and excitement of pregnancy is tempered by caution and concern. Women with chronic health conditions, those who’ve developed unexpected problems during pregnancy or women who’ve had non-routine pregnancies, need special attention from day one of their pregnancy to the day they deliver.
They need the expert care of a maternal fetal medicine specialist (MFM specialist), often beginning at preconception. MFM specialists work closely with mom, her medical team and her family to navigate the unexpected turns and challenges that can come with a high-risk pregnancy.
Should you see a maternal fetal medicine specialist?
If you fall into one of the categories mentioned above, the answer is yes. An MFM specialist can give you and your family the peace of mind and confidence that are so essential for healthy moms to carry and deliver a healthy baby. Other reasons or conditions to see an MFM specialist include (but are not limited to):
- Preconception counseling – If you have a chronic health condition or have had problems in past pregnancies, your MFM specialist will review your medical and pregnancy history and plan a proactive and safe strategy for your next pregnancy.
- Genetic screening, ultrasound and prenatal diagnosis – Under the care of an MFM specialist, tests for fetal diseases, infections and genetic conditions will be conducted.
- Pregnancy challenges – From past complications to underlying health conditions due to pregnancy loss to preterm birth, your MFM specialist can address problems and suggest treatments to reduce the risk of your next pregnancy.
- Maternal health problems – If you have health problems such as high blood pressure, a heart condition, asthma or other conditions, pregnancy can exacerbate them. Your MFM specialist will closely monitor you and recommend medications to manage your medical problems with minimal risk for your baby.
- Advanced maternal age – Being age 35 or older at the time of birth increases your risk of chromosome problems, and it can double the risk of anatomic fetal abnormalities. We address the risk for chromosome anomalies with thorough genetic counseling, and as MFM specialists, we are three times more likely to find anatomic problems via ultrasound than with routine obstetric ultrasound, giving you your best chance of determining that your baby is normal.
- Pregnancy through IVF – Conception through IVF doubles the risk of fetal heart defects. Specialized heart ultrasound exams help our MFM doctors identify abnormal findings in utero, giving you your best chance of improving outcomes with the help of a multidisciplinary team that’s ready for your baby at the time of birth.
Our exceptionally trained, caring MFM specialists will be by your side during every phase of your pregnancy journey
At the High Risk Pregnancy Center, you won’t find one maternal fetal medicine specialist in Las Vegas, Reno, and Henderson, Nevada, but an entire team! We’ve been leading the way in maternal fetal medicine (also known as perinatology) for more than two decades. Our physicians have trained extensively and specifically to care for high-risk pregnancies. Just know that the most advanced testing and treatment options available are here for you, and ready to give you the very best chance for delivering a healthy baby.
Peace of mind starts here. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 888-381-0695, or click here to use our online form.