What is high-risk pregnancy?
All pregnancies have some level of risk. But not all risks are equal. A high-risk pregnancy is one where a pre-existing condition or problem diagnosed during pregnancy puts the mother or fetus (or both) at an increased risk for complications.
In our maternal-fetal medicine practice, the High Risk Pregnancy Center, many of the problems we see can be managed, lessened or even avoided with pre-pregnancy testing, genetic counseling and appropriate therapies. Even for women who are diagnosed with high-risk issues, most go on to have a normal pregnancy and healthy delivery.
Health risks and conditions that can affect your pregnancy
- Advanced maternal age
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Being overweight or underweight
- Family history of genetic disorders
- Recurrent pregnancy loss
- Medical conditions including: diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, thyroid problems, lupus, asthma, a seizure disorder, autoimmune and infectious diseases, or other long-term medical problems
Risks we can detect and treat during early pregnancy
- Cervical incompetence
- Gestational diabetes
- Intrauterine growth restriction
- Kidney infection
- Preeclampsia (toxemia)
- Premature rupture of membranes
- Preterm labor
Our compassionate team of experts in Las Vegas and Henderson is here to help you through your difficult pregnancy. For more information, call 702-382-3200 today. You can also schedule an appointment using our easy online form.